Join the fast on Tuesday 15th July
Tuesday 15th July 2014 is also 17th Tammuz, a Jewish fast day. It is the start of the three-week mourning period for the destruction of Jerusalem and the two Holy Temples, and the date the walls for of the 2nd temple were breached before its complete destruction. This year it also falls during Ramadan, a month during which Muslims fast for 30 days during daylight hours.
Over the past few weeks we have witnessed an escalation of violence in the West Bank, Israel and Gaza, including the brutal murders of Eyal Yifrach, Gilad Sha’ar, Naftali Frankel and Mohammed Abu Khedir. Rockets are terrorising the Israeli public, aerial bombardments of Gaza are killing innocent civilians.
Many individuals and organisations have decided to dedicate the fast next Tuesday to ‘non-violence’ and to ‘peace’. A ‘choose life’ fast. All over the world Jews and Muslims will be fasting in partnership with many breaking their fast at a shared iftar – the meal that breaks the fast each day of Ramadan.
If like us, you believe there is another way, that violence begets violence, and that however hard and painful the choices and decisions are that have to made, we must remain steadfast in our commitment to a peace that will guarantee both Israelis and Palestinians self-determination, safety and security, we ask you to fast with us.
What difference will it make?
We intend for this fast to be very public. It is not meant as a ‘feel good’ campaign. We want to send a public message to the media, civil society, opinion-makers and politicians within the Anglo-Jewish community, the wider British society and to Israelis and Palestinians. We want to loudly and clearly call for de-escalation, return of calm, return to the negotiating table and the creation of two states for two peoples, the only way that can guarantee stability and security in the long run.
How do you get involved?
It’s very simple. To dedicate your fast just sign up by clicking here. Once you have signed up we will send you some instructions (that you can also see below), of how to get the word out to your friends and family to ask them to join you, and how to promote the fast and its message in the run-up to the day and on the day itself. We’ll be asking you to take photos of your selves holding one of our downloadable printed signs and emailing or tweeting it at journalists and politicians.
At the end of the day, for those based in London, you are invited to join us for a screening of Two Sided Story at 8pm, and to break the fast which goes out at dusk (10.07pm). Two Sided Story follows a group of 27 Palestinians and Israelis who meet under the frame of a unique project called “History through the Human Eye” led by the Bereaved Families Forum – a group of bereaved Palestinian and Israeli family members. Details of location to follow. We’ll be screening the film at the JW3 in partnership with the Friends of the Bereaved Families Forum UK. THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL
What to do once you have signed up
The fast runs from dawn (01:57) until dusk (22:07) on this coming Tuesday 15th July.
Between now and Tuesday we ask you to do the following things:
- Forward the initial email you received from Yachad about this fast, or the link to this page to your family and friends, colleagues and contacts, encouraging them to get involved.
- Print out one of the slogan signs that we have prepared by clicking on the links below:
- Take a photo of yourself holding the sign, ensuring that the words are visible
- Await a further email from us, which will contain a short list of journalists, politicians and public figures with their email and twitter contact details.
- Please contact the people on the list, preferably by twitter, but if not by email, letting them know you’re involved. Remember to attach your photo and, if you are tweeting, to include our hashtag #hungryforpeace. Click here for suggested emails/tweets. If do not have a twitter account and want to sign up here are some instructions of how to do so.
On the day itself
- Please fast with us
- Please continue to email and tweet your photo, again mentioning #hungryforpeace. If you tweeted the journalists and politicians, please re-tweet them. If you emailed, please send a follow up email (suggestions can be found here).
- Please join us for an evening film screening and to break the fast at 8pm at the JW3, 341-351 Finchley Road, London NW3 6ET. THIS EVENT IS NOW FULL